Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lentil-Spinach Stew

                                                                   
Made a delicious meal the other night, if I do say so myself. I've made it before, but it turned out especially good this last time. The basic recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Vegetarian Recipes Cooking for Today.  I made a few changes this time.  I'd run out of fennel,
so had none of that to throw in the pot. For bouillon, I like the "Better Than Bouillon" brand. I use the vegetarian flavor which has a wonderfully hearty taste. I added a red pepper and a potato-both chopped. I added fresh spinach instead of frozen. Cooked at a higher simmer than usual which made it thicker and more filling.
Here's the recipe
1 cup dried lentils
1 chopped onion
1 tsp. or so of minced garlic
a spray of olive oil-if you like more, throw it in-original recipe called for 1 T.
4 cups water
1 can (15 oz.) 0f diced stewed tomatoes
1-2 tsp. of bouillon
1 T. of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. fennel seed-crushed
pepper to taste
1 bay leaf-I like the ones grown in Calif.-they seem to have a stronger flavor
1 1/2 to 2 cups  carrots-thick sliced
fresh baby spinach- throw in as much as you like -it cooks down-I threw in about 3 handfuls
1-2 T. of balsamic vinegar
Rinse lentils.  Use soup pot or dutch oven. Saute onion and garlic in oil  until they soften.  Add in the lentils, water,  tomatoes,  bouillon and the rest of the seasonings. Do not add the vinegar. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to mid to high simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.  Add potatoes, carrots, and red pepper. Cover and simmer for about 20 more minutes until lentils and vegetables are tender.. Add spinach  and cook another couple of minutes until it softens. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Throw out bay leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment